BACFLY is a facility dedicated to the expression of innovative recombinant proteins for all in vitro and in vivo studies. The innovative technology developed by the platform, called FlexiBac, uses the baculovirus / insect cell expression system. BACFLY, "Baculovirus & Therapy", officially joined BioCampus Montpellier on January 1, 2021.
- Expression of recombinant proteins in the baculovirus/insect cells system :
- GPCR, ion channels, ...
- Mono and bi-specific antibodies, molecules derived from antibodies
- Virus Like Particle (vaccine candidates)
- Multi-enzyme complexes
- Construction of baculovirus pseudotypes for the transduction of mammalian cells.
BACFLY has developed an original and proprietary technology called FlexiBac to generate multi-recombinant baculoviruses. This system allows the single-step generation of recombinant baculoviruses that co-express 1 to 6 genes of interest. This novel technology has been adapted also to optimize post-translational modifications, such as N-glycosylation for the production of glycoproteins with different glycan patterns, from the insect paucimannosidic-type to human bi-antennated complex-type (galactosylated or sialylated proteins).
Bacfly offers a complete service, from custom-made baculovirus construction to protein production/purification:
- Production of recombinant proteins in the baculovirus/insect cells system (Expression of simple but difficult to produce proteins, co-expression of multiple protein subunits or protein complexes),
- Construction of baculovirus pseudotypes for the transduction of mammalian cells
- Production of recombinant proteins with different glycosylation variants,
- Purification of antibodies, antibody-derived proteins, and all types of tagged proteins,
- Training and consulting on the baculovirus/insect cell expression system, protein production/purification, antibody/virus-like particle expression.
Access and service policy:
Academic or private access to our services follows 3 steps :
- Applicants fill in a preliminary questionnaire
- The project specifications are refined during an interview with the applicant
- A Selection Committee (M. Roth, T. Chardès, M. Cerutti, S. Choblet, and S. Juliant) analyses the technical feasibility and makes sure that there are enough staff/resources for the project implementation.
In practice, most of the projects covered in the platform will take the form of scientific cooperation, involving the complementary expertise of many researchers and engineers from different fields.